FoodBuzz

Monday, September 27, 2010

PFB Voting - and Our Favorite Granola 


Voting for Project Food Blog Challenge #2: The Classics is now open. Voting continues until September 30th, at 6 p.m. Pacific Time. Visit the PFB site and vote away. There are lots of great entries, but be sure to read my entry, A Royal Asian Meal (and vote for me). Inspired by a visit to Thailand almost 10 year ago, I decided it was time to step up to the plate, and cook some truly authentic Asian dishes – not my Westernized adaptation of Asian classics.
This weekend while I was focused on cooking and blogging my entry for the contest, I was a bit negligent on my usual weekend ‘duties.’ This morning the kids were complaining that we didn’t have any granola in the house – so, instead of explaining to them why I just didn’t have the time this weekend, I got cooking so I wouldn’t have to hear any more complaints.
This is one of our favorite granola recipes, adapted from an Alton Brown recipe I found a while back. Very easy and extremely satisfying.



Breakfast Granola

3 cups oats
1 cup slivered almonds
¾ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. dark sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup
 ½ cup vegetable oil
¾  tsp salt

Mix oats, nuts, coconut and sugar in a bowl
In another bowl, mix maple syrup, oil and salt

Thoroughly combine both, then spread out on a cookie/baking sheet. Bake in a 250 degree F oven for one hour – or until brown – stirring every 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Tina said...

I love how simple this granola recipe is!! Which I'm sure is what you needed with kids. ;)

Mike Scarpiello said...

I too was at the floating markets last year!