FoodBuzz

Thursday, September 02, 2010



It's Backyard Bounty Time Again!

I am still getting used to our relatively new home and all that we have growing in our back yard. Aside from the vegetable garden Greg started this year - and the kale, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, beans, beets, carrots, pumpkins, etc. growing, we've blackberry bushes galore, an ancient and huge pear tree, and an apple tree all bursting with goodness.
Last year, our pear bounty was too much for this family of six to consume - even freeze - so we made frequent trips to the Marin Open Garden Project. I made my share of pear pocket pies, and throughout the year we enjoyed frozen pears in smoothies, on top of ice cream, and other dessert.
Now, it is pear time again. I will start out with the pear pockets, simply because the kids are asking for it. But, I'm determined to expand my pear horizons and work it into dinner recipes. Stay tuned for my impending creations. In the meantime, enjoy the pear pocket recipe and a little video we created for FamilyEats.net last year.

Family Eats - Backyard Bounty

PEAR POCKET PIES

1 homemade piecrust
3 small, ripe California Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and diced
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sugar
Dash nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pie dough and cut circle in crush using a 5-inch bowl as a guide. Gather up remaining dough and roll out on a lightly floured board and cut circles until dough is gone.
In a medium bowl, combine pears with brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss well to combine. Place equal amounts of fruit onto half of each circle, leaving excess liquid in bowl.
Brush edges of dough with water. Pick up each circle like a taco shell, with rounded sides up, and pinch edges together to enclose filling. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and press with the tines of a fork to seal. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Enjoy!
The Everage Family
– Greg, Laura, Grayson, Nicole, Addison and Keely
www.FamilyEats.net

3 comments:

Carol Egbert said...

I waiting for the local pears to ripen in Vermont. Thanks for an interesting post.

Laura Everage said...

Carol,
Enjoy the bounty. My kids watched the Family Eats video again last night and begged me to make them pear pockets today - I guess I better get into the kitchen!

Unknown said...

Laura, nice blog...I love this. Let me know if you want any recipes. Laure's homemade strawberry jam is all natural and amazing.