FoodBuzz

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Time for Yourself – even if it is a couple of minutes.

It’s been a hectic weekend, as most are, and I long for the quiet time that I don’t usually get until after 8 p.m. when both the kids are down. With one out of the house grocery shopping with Daddy, and the other taking a nap (which I hope lasts until they return from the store), I sit down to relax with my computer and a cup of tea. Having consumed my daily share of coffee at 6:30 a.m. when the kids dragged us out of bed, I opt for something more soothing, with less caffeine.

No doubt you are all aware of the health benefits of tea, but if you need a reminder, here they are:
Tea provides various nutrient supplements including potassium, vitamin C, and a number of trace minerals including chromium.
Tea is rich in antioxidants which help protect cells that may otherwise mutate into cancer and other diseases.
Green tea exhibits anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties making it useful in warding off some forms of flue, colds and other illnesses.
Polyphenals and catechins found in tea have been found to lower undesirable fats in the blood including cholesterol. While green tea continues a higher percentage of the catechin antioxidants, research has documented that black and oolong teas have many of these same healthy effects on the human body.

I usually mix it up, trying different kinds of tea – green, oolong, black, even mate and rooibos, which are not officially ‘tea’, but are often lumped into the same category.

While my intentions are to grab some quiet time, it doesn’t always happen. Inevitably, my tea is brewing and the kids wake up – and my tea gets cold. My big find has been the Timolino Travette Tea Maker. It is a vacuum insulated tea ‘pot’ that includes a basket infuser that sits inside the pot, giving the tea leaves room to properly release flavor. The vacuum insulated container holds the tea at the perfect temperature for up to three hours. It has a padded base so it sits securely on the table, desk or counter without marring, and the stainless steel interior makes it easy to clean. It has a 20-ounce capacity. (www.Timolino.com)



That’s my pick of the week! With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, we’ll be getting ready for a festive dinner. Check back later this week to hear about our plans.
Until next time, enjoy Food and the Family.
Laura

No comments: